Friday, April 9, 2010

Ironing Wayne's shirts

One of my assigned tasks as consort to a scientist is to keep a fresh supply of washed and ironed dress shirts in the said scientist's closet. Shouldn't be a struggle but it is.


At first I couldn't figure out why the iron was cooling and pouring water all over the ironing board and shirt. The first shirt didn’t look so good. “Keep your jacket on, dear!” I instructed W as he went out the door the next morning to work.

The second shirt taught me that the circuit breaker was the problem. “Now what is that click? I know I’ve heard that click before...somewhere in my youth or childhood..."

After the third shirt I thought long and hard about changing my plane ticket to go home early.

The iron causes the breaker to trip, not once per shirt, but twice, three times, even half a dozen times per shirt. I went around the apartment turning off lights and unplugging the toaster, microwave and anything else that might be drawing electricity...


...and still the iron tripped the circuit!!!

Next, the ironing board came out of the maids room (no, there is no maid, just her room that we use for storage) and the board got parked beneath the circuit breaker panel so I wouldn’t have to walk so far to flick the switch. The circuit panel is beside the front door so of course that means dragging the ironing board and iron back and forth.

Sometimes I have to wait for the wires behind the circuit panel to cool down!!!

That makes me hot under my collar.