Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Gotta open a window

A man from the hotel staff came yesterday to open one of our windows at our request. He asked me which window I wanted opened.

"All of them, please", I said.


"No ma'am, only one allowed, ma'am", he said.

Hmmm...I opted for the kitchen window.

He crawled up on the granite counter and proceeded to ream the screw that held the window closed with a drill.

He had the drill bit going the wrong way so the shape in the centre of the screw was obliterated.

Right is tight, left is loose, I said to myself...and that drill was definitely going right, not left.

I watched in disbelief as metal screw filings were flinging out from the screw in all directions.

He stopped and reversed the drill...then went at it again...tearing the screw apart until there was no screw left!

But now the window opens!
Seven inches it opens...which is pretty good for the 40th floor.

"That's enough to throw your own paper airplanes out the window", says Blake.