Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cultural immersion

Got the bright idea to take advantage of the sprayer hanging on the wall in a public washroom stall. Afterall, when in Rome...

Toilet paper, by the way, is a Western invention, all the rest of the world uses water, whether splashed on with the left hand (never the right, that's for eating) from a bucket or with a hand held sprayer.


With no instructions and no recent prior experience, I got myself into some kind of logical position and pulled the trigger.


I must have depressed the trigger all the way because the pressure from the jet of water was so strong and such a surprise that I gasped and sucked in my breath audibly...

...and the lady washroom attendant, who was busy cleaning on the other side of the door, suddenly became silent.

I became silent too as I took tally of the damage.

In the space of half a second I had sprayed myself, the wall, my clothes, the floor, the toilet...

...and came mighty close to experiencing the traditional barbaric Arabic custom of female circumcision.

Oh my! Oh my!

Female circumcision is no longer practised here, by the way, it ended about 25 years ago...

...except when it happens accidentally.