Saturday, March 13, 2010

Crabs on the rocks


Sometimes, in communication, less is more.

A security checkpoint separated us from this area where so many boats are moored. I explained to the guard that we just want to go for a morning walk along the quay, and would that be ok?

He considers our request while giving us the once over and then reluctantly says we can go ahead. I'm sure he's wondering why I, a woman, am speaking for the three grown men in my party, but it seems I'm the only one who can partially understand Urdu English.

Wanting to make a good impression as we did so recently at the mall, and to reassure him that we are really just a nice family on a nature outing, I smile and add that we are looking for crabs on the rocks. We were told that the little creatures could be spotted scurrying here.

He doesn't understand.

The lady with the nice family in tow, that's me, says slowly and politely, "Crabs...on...the...rocks!" He's struggling to understand Canadian English, another dialect, so I try to keep it simple.

"Ah", says the guard catching on, and swiftly giving us directions to the nearby hotel bar!!

The hotel bar? Oh dear, dear!

So much for making a good impression or being a nice family in an alcohol banned Muslim country!
Dear, dear, indeed!